Snippets from the Scullery: Granny's Applesauce!

I have many fond memories of delicious, family dinners at my grandmother's house. Every now and then homemade applesauce would grace the buffet line. I believe the only time I've eaten homemade applesauce was here. My mom always said it was really hard to make.

Well one weekend last fall my dad brought me a huge bag of apples and pears. So I had made pear muffins and decided to try my hand at applesauce! After a phone conversation with Granny I made a pot of applesauce and much to my surprise it wasn't hard at all! The only hard part is peeling the apples. My latest installment of making applesauce happened just the other week. There were a bunch of leftover apples at ADF and I snagged them for some applesauce.

Like many recipes from my grandmother a lot of things can be substituted and the amounts vary greatly. This list of ingredients is basically what you need.

Ingredients:
Apples (for my last batch I had 8)
Cinnamon Stick (optional)
Cinnamon (or nutmeg)
Sugar (white or brown)

Peel, core, and quarter apples. Place in a large pot covered with water and a cinnamon stick, bring to a boil. Boil for about 15-20 minutes until the apples are soft. (I did this the night President Obama gave his speech on healthcare which kept me occupied.) After the apples are soft drain the water but leave a little bit in the pot and save some extra if you want to make your applesauce thinner. Mash the apples and add in sugar, spice, and everything nice! I added about 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tbsp cinnamon this time. Granny said nutmeg gave it a nice flavor so I'll try that next time.

Now to reward your efforts have a nice bowl of warm applesauce -- it's so good! This is actually my favorite time to eat the applesauce.

1 comment:

  1. If you homemade applesauce is as good as your slaw, then I know it was wonderful! Mom

    ReplyDelete