Pumpkin Spice Latte-ish Coffee

All things pumpkin spice are back! So it's no surprise that I should have a pumpkin spice featured post here.

Pumpkin spice latte-ish coffee
Last Thursday Stephanie came over for our Grey's girls night. We've been watching Grey's Anatomy together this season and I've been looking forward to our weekly date nights.

I decided to whip us up a special coffee drink. In case you didn't notice fall decided to make an appearance last week and our above normal highs sunk to above normal lows and they were chilly! I decided pumpkin spice latte-ish coffee would be a perfect addition to our night! Latte-ish means I don't have an espresso machine but wanted warm milk in my drink!

After this decision I consulted the google and used these posts (from the New Nostalgia blog and Real Housemoms blog) as jumping off points before I entered the kitchen. First thing you have to do is decide if you want to use pumpkin. Technically "pumpkin spice" doesn't require pumpkin flavoring but rather the spices traditionally used in pumpkin pie making: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and others. I had some pumpkin on hand so I decided to use it!

Here's what I did for two servings:
While brewing 1 cup of regular coffee, warm 1 cup of milk (I used half almond milk and half skim milk) over low-med heat. To the milk, add 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree and a good dash of pumpkin pie spice and stir together. After the milk is heated through add to the coffee. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.
For extra fun, I used a hand blender with the whisk attachment to froth the milk before adding it to the coffee... this was after all girls night.

Serve with chocolate cookies and a girlfriend! I asked Patrick if he wanted me to make him one and he declined. He's too much of a black coffee purist.

 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment